I got out of the city for the first time today since the beginning of MARCH!
Granted, it was only a short train ride – (and I was the only person on the train) – but dang did it feel good!
I had my mask, glasses, gloves — I felt like I was going into battle, but really it was just Penn Station.
But I survived! I went to Summit, New Jersey to visit my friends at Ethos Spa! I wanted to give my skin a little post-quarantine love, and boy – it was fabulous. I feel like a new woman!
But as I was on the train ride back, I realized — I’ve really found my summer groove here in NYC, given the new “normal” – so I thought it would be fun to share what I’ve found really helpful and fun!
So without further ado: Here’s my Summer Survival Guide, followed by my Summer Skincare Secrets! (And all of my favorite products are listed and linked on my Amazon Storefront so you can easily find them all in one place! – Click Here!)
SUMMER SURVIVAL GUIDE!
I mentioned it in my last Butterfinger Cookie recipe post, but PICNICKING is THE THING this summer! Not even exaggerating, I go on probably 3-4 socially distanced picnics a week with my friends – be it on a weekend afternoon, or catching the sunset during the week. And THIS BLANKET is amazing. My sister-in-law got it for me off of Shark Tank – basically, it folds up into itself in a little bag, about the size of a bean bag (so I literally always have it with me in my purse.) But the coolest thing is that the corners have these little weights, so it won’t fly away or flip up on you!
Speaking of picnics — this summer cocktail is my absolute favorite and it’s SO EASY. Bai Coconut Drink — if you’ve never had it, drop what you’re doing and go out and try it. I personally don’t like coconut water, because I think it tastes like glorified sweat, but THIS is a Coconut Beverage, and sweetened with Stevia, so it’s really healthy. Add 1.5 – 2 shots of vodka to the bottle, and you’ve got yourself one heck of a drink!! *Careful – they go down a little too easy!
Next, BIKING. It’s the new “public” transportation in NYC. I’m not kidding. People are biking like we’re in Amsterdam! And it’s so fun! (And not to mention healthy, budget-friendly and good for the environment!) So get yourself a cruiser, or if you live in a city with a bike share program like CitiBikes in NYC, DO IT!
Have a “refresh pack!” This is my secret weapon for summer. Seriously, if there’s one thing you take away from this post, THIS IS IT!! With all the biking and picnicking in 90 degree, humid weather, I can definitely end up looking rather … melted, shall we say?? SO – in my purse, along with my picnic blanket, I always have a little zip pouch with some travel or sample-size refresh-items in it.
A little mini deodorant
A rollerball perfume
A mini face sunscreen
A disposable mask, in case I lose mine
Listerene Pocket Strips
Individual pack Neutrogena make-up remover wipes
A mini mascara (I love this one!)
Oil blotting sheets
A mini mirror
Chapstick with SPF (this stuff smells so good!)
A $20 bill
A Larabar (because you never know when hunger will strike)
A tampon (sorry gentlemen!)
I’m telling you, your future self will thank you for this summer emergency bag!
Next: FALL IN LOVE WITH LAUNDRY
Yes, you read that correctly. And no, I’m not crazy. I’ve fallen in love with laundry! Why? Because of these scent booster pellets. OH MY GOSH. They make my clothes and sheets smell so good, I actually LOOK FORWARD to doing my laundry, which — thank goodness, because with all this outside activity, I’m sure collecting dirty laundry!
MY SKINCARE SECRETS!
1. Sunscreen is an absolute must. It is the number one cause of skin damage, wrinkles and aging. So – I always wear SPF on my face – even if I’m just going for a quick walk. I love Supergoop — it’s perfectly clear. And if you’re a lady — it goes on flawlessly under makeup — which is my biggest gripe about sunscreen. Not with this stuff!
2. Wear a hat. Along those same lines – a hat is a necessary accessory for summertime because — hello — another layer of sun protection! I will not go anywhere without my Eric Javitz hat because it’s cute and is made from UPF 50 material! This is not sponsored, I literally love it so much, I bought two of the exact same ones!
3. Hydrate. I drink two liters of lemon water a day. Mainly because when I get back from running, I’m so parched I guzzle it like I just crossed the Sahara. BUT – since doing so, I’ve noticed such a difference in the quality of my skin and hair! It’s clear and not dry or flakey! (And on that note, easy on the caffeine and alcohol!)
4. Sleep – Beauty sleep is no joke. I’m telling you – I can seriously see a difference between an 9 hour night, and a 7 hour night. Gotta give those cells time to repair!
And bonus points if you sleep on a Silk Pillowcase — it helps prevent hair breakage and wrinkles! It’s been a game changer for me!
5. RETINOL – Ok, this is a new one for me! Retinol is known as the fountain of youth. I use it 3x a week, because it’s strong. Basically it encourages cell turnover, so it helps your skin stay youthful!
6. Eye Masks. I have tried an insane amount of eye masks – all promising to depuff, relieve dark circles, brighten, illuminate. I’m here to tell you — those buzz words…are all marketing gimmicks. I am always disappointed with the “results” of eye masks. UNTIL I FOUND THIS BRAND. Holy cow – I’m a believer! Wander Beauty actually works, and again — not sponsored!! *Protip: Store them in the fridge for extra depuffing action!
Protip: I use my Nurse Jamie face roller while I’m wearing my eye mask to boost blood circulation and absorption! Instant de-puff!!!!
7. Lip Masks! I don’t know about you, but since my AC is working overtime, my lips get SO DRY overnight!! THIS lip mask is seriously spectacular. I put it on at night, and it STAYS on, and HYDRATES my lips until morning. I’m serious – again, I’ve tried so many chapsticks and lip goop for overnight — nothing works like this!
8. You are what you eat! Summer is my favorite time for produce — all the berries, fruits and veggies! In season, organic, and full of antioxidants — which means — it is phenomenal for your skin! I go gaga over quality Vitamin C serums — why not EAT your vitamin C too!?
9. PAPAW CREAM! I’ll say it once, and I’ll say it again — this is an Australian cult favorite for a reason! Everything from chapstick, to Neosporin-type uses, to cuticles — I LOVE THIS STUFF! It’s made from fermented papaya, and I’ll tell you my MOST highly guarded secret: at night, I put it on my under-eyes, over my eye cream – and it locks in those active ingredients while I sleep. AND I put it on my eyelashes at night, and it nourishes them, and I’m convinced it’s made them grow! So – I’m not the FDA, but do with that information as you will.
10. Lastly, a smile is the most beautiful thing you can add to your skincare regimen. I’m serious 🙂 There is nothing that makes you glow from the inside, out, more than a genuine, kind smile. The world needs more love right now – boy, does it ever! So share your smile and brighten up the world!
So there you have it! It’s hard to believe we’re already in almost JULY, but hopefully these ideas will help you find your summer groove!
“This is what the Lord says to these bones: I will make breath enter you, and you will come to life.” Ez 37:5
A big thank you to my foundational sponsor, BetterHelp Online Therapy. I cannot begin to express how beneficial therapy was for my recovery from anorexia. Speak with an online therapist. Or check out content about eating disorders from BetterHelp.
***THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS ORDERED MY BOOKS, BLOOM: A JOURNAL BY BEAUTYBEYONDBONES AND “MY BLOGGING TIPS“***Click to order your copy!
SIGN UP BELOW FOR MY FREE NEWSLETTER!
GET MY DAILY VIDEOS, RECIPES AND POSTS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Here was yesterday’s video! https://youtu.be/8pmp4ZI968A
MAGIC TOOTHPASTE? Yes! I am in love with this superior whitening toothpaste. It keeps my smile sparkling, without sensitivity or bleach! I made a website where you can directly order this miracle product! So if you want to give it a try, you can go ahead and grab a tube for yourself. I promise, your smile will thank you!Get a tube!
Be sure to check out my affiliate, Audible. Listening to audiobooks while I cook is literally my new favorite thing. And just for you, they’re offering a Free 30-Day Trial Membership. And with this free membership, you’re going to get 2 free audiobooks! Literally. Free. It is the best deal ever. And if for some reason, you decide it’s not for you, you can cancel within those 30 days and it’s zero money out of your pocket, plus, you get to keep the 2 audiobooks. Soooo…it’s pretty much a no brainer. Plus, it’s a free and easy way to support this blog! So thank you!!
Huge shoutout to my favorite: Ethos Spa Skin and Laser Center in Summit, New Jersey! Located just outside of NYC, this gorgeous medical spa keeps my skin healthy and bright! Stop in and treat yo’self! 🙂
@beauty.beyond.bones – Instagram
For Podcast versions of my posts, please check out Patreon! It’s only $2 a month!! You make this blog possible 🙂
And really quickly, I’ve had several questions concerning my Amazon link (amazon.com/shop/beautybeyondbones) — You do not need to buy one of my specific highlighted products on my page, in order for it to “credit” my account. Any purchases that you search or make from anywhere on Amazon, after first visiting my Amazon page, will credit this blog and help support this blog ministry. I am truly so grateful and appreciative to those of you wanting to do so! So thank you! Again, it is an absolutely free, and easy way for you to help keep this blog going!
36 responses to “Summer Survival Guide! (Plus My Skincare Secrets!)”
Great you are free to travel the great outdoors once again. Take care, the virus is not finished with the US yet and you need to take all the precautions they are suggesting 🙂
Thanks Ian! Yeah I’m SOOOO grateful for the outdoor activities! You’re right – definitely need to be diligent of a second wave! You too! Stay safe! Hugs and love xox
Adorable post, but haven’t read it yet. I’m looking for a simple, organic, multitasking moisturizer for all occasions that targets all skin needs. 😉 Any ideas? I promise to buy it through your blog! 😇 Writing a blog post now, so talk later. Bye!!
Thanks so much! Oh yes! Honest beauty makes terrific clean skin care!! It’s Jessica Alba’s company. That’s my suggestion! Good luck with your post! Hugs and love xox
So good for you to be able to just get out and enjoy a bit and you took the necessary precautions while doing it, good on ya.
Thank you!! Yeah it’s so nice to have the option to hang out outside! And for sure, you have to be careful still!! Hope your week is off to a great start! Hugs and love xox
Congrats., on getting out of the city! 😮
Ha ha… you have solved it for me, that is exactly what coconut water tastes like.
I did not make it through the whole list of your purse…
Thanks David! It was a great day! Hahaha yeah not a fan! Hugs and love xox
the pink lemonade bai is great too 🧃
Ooooh! I’ll have to give it a try! Thanks for the tip!! Hugs and love xox
strawberry lemonade oof
be well! 🏞
I just found it today! I’m going to make a strawberry lemonade cocktail tonight when I have a picnic drink with my friend! 🙂 thanks again for the recco! Hugs and love xox
Sounds like a wonderful day!
It really was! I had a great afternoon! Thanks Ab for stopping by! Hugs and love xox
I love riding my bike too, it allows me to connect with the little girl inside me and is so freeing! Picnics are so much fun too! I’m so glad you’ve found some joy and here’s to a fun summer, making the best of what we have. Yay👏😊❤👍
it really is so freeing! that’s been one of the best parts of quarantine! 🙂 thanks so much for stopping by! have a great afternoon! Hugs and love xox
Thanks for sharing your day! It really sounds you had a lot of fun to finally go back out again in this new normal circumstances. Thanks for the tips aswell! Cheers 😊
thanks so much! oh my gosh – yes it really felt awesome to have a “normal” day! have a great afternoon! Hugs and love xox
It must have felt great to get out of the city. And thanks for all these tips, each one is better than the other!
Hey Jim! oh my gosh it felt awesome!! ALMOST like a normal day! (and the empty train was a major plus!) Hugs and love xox
Very likely post good watch ,regards
Thanks! Hugs and love xox
Hello and greetings from the Lake! Great tips that I’m going to try.. esp like the picnic, bike riding & delicious cocktail ideas! Yumm! Stay well & take good care of your beautiful self😘
Oh lucky you to be at the Lake!!! I hope you have a wonderful wonderful Fourth of July and time on the water! thanks so much! Hugs and love xox
Hi there! I enjoyed reading your post. I really needed some inspiration. Your summer survival guide gave me some great products to try. Thank you also for your recommendation on Ethos Spa. I live in the DMV area and Jersey is just a hop, skip, and a jump away. I really feel a self-care weekend getaway coming soon for me. 🙂
Thanks so much Erica! Glad you enjoyed it! I always love finding new products to try 🙂 have an awesome night! Hugs and love xox
I love the Downy stoppables pellets. Discovered it almost a year and never looked back 😁
Thanks so much! I’ll have to give those a try!! Hugs and love xox
What a fantastic post. I really need to start taking some me time and I may check out a few of these products! Especially the coconut drink. Lol
Thanks so much! I hope you do! Me time is important! Hugs and love xox
Great post. Stay safe.
Thank you Amanda!! Hugs and love xox
Love this post! Thanks for sharing! Definitely a lot of takeaways and new things to try! 🤗
Aw thank you! Yes! I love finding new things to try! 🙂 Hugs and love xox