It’s officially CHILI SEASON!
That’s right! I’m wearing a cozy sweater and boots today, so that only means one thing — time to fire up the stove and simmer away a comforting pot of my….
My mom made this when Steven and I were in Wisconsin last week, and let me tell ya — it is a phenomenal meal to have on hand for lunches or even a no-fuss dinner! Because the leftovers are even better!
Yes, it does have Ziti in it, which makes it not gluten free – so for my GF version, you’re going to OMIT the ziti, and instead, cook your GF pasta right before you serve it, and put the chili over the noodles – (which is Cincinnati style, anyway…). If you just flat out substitute GF noodles for ziti, the GF noodles will get gummy as time goes on, as gluten free noodles tend to do.
So – without further ado…..
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion -diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound 80% lean ground beef – I used grass-fed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 tablespoon onion powder
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper* -optional
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 16 oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 box ziti noodles GF/SCD omit
- 1 Tbsp sour cream SCD omit
- 2 Tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp chives
- In a large soup pot, saute the onion in 2 Tbsp EVOO for 5 minutes over medium high heat. Add in the garlic, and let cook for another 2 minutes.
- Then, add the ground beef. Cook for 6-7 minutes, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon, stirring occasionally, until the beef is browned.
- Next, add the spices, sugar, tomato paste, and salt and pepper.
- Finally, add the broth, diced tomatoes *with their juice, drained and rinsed beans, and tomato sauce. Stir well.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and let cook for 20-25 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, boil 1/2 box ziti until al dente. Add to simmering chili for the last few minutes it’s simmering to marry the flavors.
- This will keep for up to a week in the fridge. Also great to freeze in individual portions!
USE San Marzano Tomatoes for this recipe!
– San Marzano Diced Tomatoes
– San Marzano Tomato Paste
– San Marzano Tomato Sauce
Good chef’s knife
Info on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet
What can I say about this meal, but YUM!
I don’t think it gets much better than this: pasta with homey and cozy beef chili over top! We’re giving Skyline Chili a run for its money!
There’s nothing better than diving into a warm bowl of chili on a cold day with a mountain of cheese on top, and this is what those dreams are made of.
The chili itself is the perfect combination of meat and tomato. It’s not too “tomatoey” as some chilis can be. And it’s also not too meat heavy. It feels light, yet decadently delicious.
Plus, the addition of the ziti really makes you feel like you’ve eaten a “whole meal” instead of just a bowl of “soup.”
So do yourself a favor and make this dish tonight! The leftovers are honestly the best part. It gets better with time, as the flavors “marry” together, and you can serve it over a baked potato, over a piece of bread, with a fried egg on top, even over a salad. The possibilities for “leftover remixes” are endless!
It would be amazing if you could SAVE the recipe on Pinterest! Every save helps my chance to win the contest! So thank you in advance!
CARALYN’S COOKING CORNER!
Each post I will share a new Pinterest recipe video! Please SAVE to your Pinterest! Doing so is a free way to SUPPORT THIS BLOG! THANK YOU!!!
Thank you for your support on Patreon!! You make this blog possible 🙂
“This is what the Lord says to these bones: I will make breath enter you, and you will come to life.” Ez 37:5
Be sure to check out my affiliate, Audible. Listening to audiobooks while I cook is literally my new favorite thing. And just for you, they’re offering a Free 30-Day Trial Membership. And with this free membership, you’re going to get 2 free audiobooks! Literally. Free. It is the best deal ever. And if for some reason, you decide it’s not for you, you can cancel within those 30 days and it’s zero money out of your pocket, plus, you get to keep the 2 audiobooks. Soooo…it’s pretty much a no brainer. Plus, it’s a free and easy way to support this blog! So thank you!!
@beauty.beyond.bones – Instagram
And really quickly, I’ve had several questions concerning my Amazon link (amazon.com/shop/beautybeyondbones) — You do not need to buy one of my specific highlighted products on my page, in order for it to “credit” my account. Any purchases that you search or make from anywhere on Amazon, after first visiting my Amazon page, will credit this blog and help support this blog ministry. I am truly so grateful and appreciative to those of you wanting to do so! So thank you! Again, it is an absolutely free, and easy way for you to help keep this blog going!