Fall is here and my Creamy Butternut Squash Soup is everything you want on a cozy autumn day! Made with slow roasted butternut squash and coconut milk, it is vegan and beautifully healthy!Jump to Recipe
The texture of this soup is simply divine – it is so creamy and velvety! And that’s all thanks to letting it run through a high powered blender for several minutes!
But the secret of WHY this soup is so delicious is that the squash is SLOW ROASTED first, and then made into soup! This allows the sugars to caramelize in the squash, giving it the most beautiful depth of sweetness and flavor that is almost nutty!
It is truly incredible.
And the best part is that you can roast it beforehand, and when you do – making the soup itself can be whipped together in less than 30 minutes!
Plus, it’s gluten free, vegan, keto, and on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet!
Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
- Vitamix or high powered blender
- stock pot
- wooden spoon
- baking sheet
- 1 butternut squash cut in half and roasted
- 3 Tbsp EVOO
- 3 carrots chopped
- 1 leek chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme leaves removed, and stems discarded
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups 1 box vegetable stock (low sodium)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (Optional)
- Directions: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Carefully cut the top and tail off your butternut squash. Then cut in half, and discard the seeds. Rub the inside flesh with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. On a nonstick tinfoil-lined baking sheet, place your squash halves cut-side-down, and bake for 55 minutes, until they are tender to the touch, and the outside easily gives when pushed. (This can be done beforehand).
- In a large stock pot, saute your onions and carrots in olive oil, salt and pepper for about 4 minutes over medium-high heat. Then add your celery, leeks and garlic, and both the fresh and dried thyme. Let cook for about 5 minutes, until they begin to get tender. Meanwhile, scoop the butternut squash meat from the skins. Add it to the pot, and stir to coat with the spices. Next, add your stock, bring it to a boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Then, add your can of coconut milk. Stir to combine. Turn off the heat. Carefully, transfer to a vitamix or high powered blender and, blend until smooth. You can also do this in a food processor, but be sure to do it in batches, and use extreme caution since it is a HOT LIQUID!
- Taste before serving to adjust the seasoning.
- To serve, garnish with a splash of extra coconut milk, and a couple sprigs of fresh thyme, and pumpkin seeds, if you have any (I did not.)
WOW WOW WOW! I am so in love with this soup, I kid you not, I make this about every 10 days for my fiancé and I to have for quick lunches or “go-with’s” throughout the week.
It’s amazing as a soup — especially with a hunk of nice, crusty bread.
But it ALSO is fabulous as a sauce over fish or other protein! It can even be used as a pasta sauce over noodles, or over a baked sweet potato!
It is just phenomenal. The flavor is sweet and savory, and has that earthiness from the thyme.
Plus, the texture just makes you want to go in for spoonful after spoonful.
You won’t believe there’s not cream in there!
The weather is starting to cool down, so fire up that oven and make this soup tonight!
Thank you for your support on Patreon!! You make this blog possible 🙂
“This is what the Lord says to these bones: I will make breath enter you, and you will come to life.” Ez 37:5
Be sure to check out my affiliate, Audible. Listening to audiobooks while I cook is literally my new favorite thing. And just for you, they’re offering a Free 30-Day Trial Membership. And with this free membership, you’re going to get 2 free audiobooks! Literally. Free. It is the best deal ever. And if for some reason, you decide it’s not for you, you can cancel within those 30 days and it’s zero money out of your pocket, plus, you get to keep the 2 audiobooks. Soooo…it’s pretty much a no brainer. Plus, it’s a free and easy way to support this blog! So thank you!!
@beauty.beyond.bones – Instagram
And really quickly, I’ve had several questions concerning my Amazon link (amazon.com/shop/beautybeyondbones) — You do not need to buy one of my specific highlighted products on my page, in order for it to “credit” my account. Any purchases that you search or make from anywhere on Amazon, after first visiting my Amazon page, will credit this blog and help support this blog ministry. I am truly so grateful and appreciative to those of you wanting to do so! So thank you! Again, it is an absolutely free, and easy way for you to help keep this blog going!