Ah, New Years.
The holidays are behind us, seemingly endless possibilities await us in the coming year, and everybody and their brother seems to have one thing on their mind: weight loss.
I swear, come December 26, you can’t turn on the TV, listen to the radio or surf the web without being bombarded by gym membership commercials, or weight loss program advertisements, all subtly shaming you into feeling the need to “tone up.”
And let me tell you, as someone who battled anorexia in her past, this specific “weight-loss January” craze is just downright toxic. And annoying. Because it’s inescapable, and for those just starting out their recovery…it can be triggering as all get out.
Same with New Year’s resolutions. It seems that they always revolve about “getting in shape” or “eating healthier” or even…”dry January.”
So. I thought that I would offer some recovery-positive resolutions that have NOTHING to do with weight or food or body image or fitness.
So — without further ado…
- Spend less time on my phone, and more time being present with the people I love.
- Choose to “say no” to things I don’t want to do…and not feel guilty about it.
- Donate at least 3 articles of clothing per month that I no longer wear.
- Call one friend I haven’t talked to in a while every Sunday afternoon.
- Spend at least five minutes outside every day being in God’s beautiful creation.
- Begin everyday with a prayer – even just a short moment thanking God for the day.
- Go to bed before 11:30 – which means I have to manage my time during the day to not leave things until bedtime.
- Speak kindly to myself and consciously remember that my reflection is the reflection of the Father.
- Find at least one random act of kindness to do for someone every day.
- Be intentional with the media I consume—from music, to movies and shows, and make sure they align with my values and are filling my mind with good things.
So there you have some of mine.
What are your New Year’s resolutions?
Caralyn’s Cooking Corner!
Each post I will share a new Pinterest recipe video! Please SAVE to your Pinterest! PDoing so is a free way to SUPPORT THIS BLOG! THANK YOU!!!
Thank you for your support on Patreon!! You make this blog possible 🙂
“This is what the Lord says to these bones: I will make breath enter you, and you will come to life.” Ez 37:5
Be sure to check out my affiliate, Audible. Listening to audiobooks while I cook is literally my new favorite thing. And just for you, they’re offering a Free 30-Day Trial Membership. And with this free membership, you’re going to get 2 free audiobooks! Literally. Free. It is the best deal ever. And if for some reason, you decide it’s not for you, you can cancel within those 30 days and it’s zero money out of your pocket, plus, you get to keep the 2 audiobooks. Soooo…it’s pretty much a no brainer. Plus, it’s a free and easy way to support this blog! So thank you!!
@beauty.beyond.bones – Instagram
And really quickly, I’ve had several questions concerning my Amazon link (amazon.com/shop/beautybeyondbones) — You do not need to buy one of my specific highlighted products on my page, in order for it to “credit” my account. Any purchases that you search or make from anywhere on Amazon, after first visiting my Amazon page, will credit this blog and help support this blog ministry. I am truly so grateful and appreciative to those of you wanting to do so! So thank you! Again, it is an absolutely free, and easy way for you to help keep this blog going!